How much do you know about the “the front page of internet”? Yes, that’s the slogan of Reddit and it should be said that Reddit is a miscellaneous baggage of computer nerdiness, social commentary, cool links, and fascinating news. Now, doesn’t it seem like a good place to advertise your websites? Well, there is a minority which acknowledge Reddit as an awesome platform to increase a website’s traffic. In addition of being an impressive community, the site can offer you massive number of hits in a short span of time as well as provide quality hype and followers amidst countries like UK, USA and Canada.
In this article, I am here to share some facts about Reddit and make you more aware about this awe-inspiring website.
Reddit was launched in 2005 and since then, it has been a growing platform for entertainment, news and social sharing. The name “Reddit” is derived from two english words- Read and Edit. Reddit’s users term themselves as Redditors which again follows the same fashion of amalgamation of words- Reddit and Editors.
Up-votes (thumbs up) and Down-votes (thumbs-down) decide ranking of your submissions in Reddit. Besides this, if your comments get upvoted, it will gain you comment karma and if your link gets upvoted, it earns you link karma. Correlatively, your link and comment karmas will acquire you more authority in Reddit and correspondingly will increase your upvotes on your link.
Reddit got its limelight during its joint venture with Mars Curiosity Rover Mission in its AMA program.
- Founded in Medford, MA and located in San Francisco
- 234 million unique users (Last updated 11/6/16)
- 853, 824 Subreddits (Last updated 6/23/15)
- 11, 464 Active communities (Last updated 2/19/16)
- 8 billion Monthly pageviews in Reddit (Last updated 11/6/16)
- 25 million Average daily votes (Last updated 11/6/16)
- 217 using Reddit (Last updated 2/19/16)
- Average visit Length for Reddit- 13+ minutes (Last updated 11/6/16)
Reddit is a rapidly growing social networking site where you can submit a variety of content ranging from web 2.0 to entertainment and fun posts. You just have to stick to some rules which will help you get more traffic to your website. So, why should you choose Reddit over other social networking sites?
- Google Adsense loves Reddit due to its premium traffic (majority users are from UK, USA and Canada) and low bounce rate. So, you can take help from Adsense to promote your business.
- Reddit helps you to distribute your website’s traffic to various websites and other social networks with the help of back linking.
- Referral traffic can be created through Reddit which will increase your website’s overall ranking.
- Legitimacy of your submissions are checked and decided by real people and not some computer algorithms like some social networking websites do. So, a good content will be always encouraged in Reddit.
- Social networking sites like Facebook ask for money to share your links with your audience (it narrows down exposure) while Reddit allows your website to paddle its canoe does not act greedy even if it hampers their business.
- Majority of Redditors are from UK, US and Canada which provides the website some premium traffic.
- Reddit is great for viral marketing as you gather good amount of exposure as soon as you hit the hot news category (i.e. getting 20 upvotes in the first hour of submission). Hence, you can enjoy free quality traffic on your site.
- Reddit is a great platform for content marketing as good posts are encouraged and similarly bad posts are booed away.
- If you offer good content constantly, you will be able to gain loyal readers.
- **Identify your Audience from 853,824 Subreddits**You have to find out your niche from 853, 824 Subreddits. There are many different kinds of subreddits. For example, the subject technology has subreddits like /r/ppc, /r/webmarketing /r/technology and so on.
- **Build relationship with your audience**After identifying your readers, you have to connect with them through your content. Spend time on your profile and interact with your readers. Comment on links and provide sound advice to them. Just remember to create a helpful image and add value to everything submission or comment you offer.
- **Choose a timeslot to submit your links**Like every social networking sites, Reddit also responds well to content submissions which are done at particular time slot. According to kissmetrics, content shared before 5pm EST will get your more thumbs up than any other time of the day. But, you must know the time when the sub members are most active. This can be a hit and trial but it is worth it.
- **Respond to comments on your link**Improve your credibility as a submitter by interacting with your readers who ask questions or leave comments on your link. Be utmost helpful to people who seek your help.
- Go to reddit.com and register yourself with a real name or name connected to the topic you want to discuss.
- Now verify your account through your email address. If you do not receive a mail, you can also verify your account by going to this link https://ssl.reddit.com/verify?reason=submit
- You cannot post a link unless you have 100 link karmas in your Reddit account. So, share some amazing and unique images or posts which can be an instant hit amongst people. If you want to check whether your shared image is unique, you can try http://karmadecay.com/. Make sure you submit your posts in the right subreddit. (example of shared image on Reddit needed)
- Hence, wait for those link karmas and then you can promote your link.
- It is very important to choose the correct subreddit or else you might get banned in Reddit.
- For help, you can visit http://metareddit.com/. The contains all subreddits you can find in Reddit and hence you can easily choose the subreddit you want.
- After finding your channel, gather 20 upvotes in an hour to place your submission at your hot news category so that your content gets maximum exposure. With Reddit, you can get many visits in a limited amount of time.
- Don’t Spam.
- No child pornography.
- Don’t post your personal information.
- Don’t mention “up-vote please”
You can only create 3 accounts per IP address.
Note:- However, if you are a service provider managing multiple clients, you can use this method to create more than 3 accounts (not meant for any black hat activities).
To create more accounts using same IP address, use VPN. You can use VPN and manage up to six accounts.
- Use two different browsers, for example Mozilla and Chrome. Make 3 accounts in Reddit using Mozilla.
- Now, use chrome to download and install any proxy so that you can change your IP address.
- Set US server as your IP location and create another three accounts in Reddit.com.
- Thus, you can utilize one account as the primary account for submitting links and other accounts to help primary account to get maximum comment and link karmas.
- Personal stories
- Art and Photography
- Educational Sites
http://redditenhancementsuite.com - Add this extension to your browser. This extension is also available at the bottom part of your account as well. You can add every account you own to this extension. It will result in better management of your accounts.
Note:- Reddit only allows 3 accounts per IP. so if you want to add other accounts as well, use a proxy.
Using different Gmail accounts for Reddit accounts can be frustrating. So, you can use this method to use a single Gmail account for all your Reddit accounts.
- Create a Gmail account. For example:- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Open reddit.com
- While registering yourself, write email@example.com. Thus, you can receive every notification related to your Reddit accounts in the same inbox.
- Always remember to bring the best content to the table.
- Interact with your audience.
- Collect as much karmas (link and comment) as you can. It will improve your stature on Reddit.
Please share your valuable experience with Reddit on the comments below. Wish you a great day ahead!